Thursday, June 24, 2010

Its a wonderful life

So, some people do not believe a stay at home mom lives a life of leisure.

Its true not all may, but a lot do. And that’s ok! I know when I really looked at my days, the time spent, it was by no means WORK. My life is one of leisure.379

Take yesterday for example.

I was awakened at 6:45am by E,  K soon followed. It was story time day at the library and if I was going to get some exercise in it had to be now. So I threw a banana at each child and turned on a video.  Pirate is still sleeping he does not need to be up till 8:00am. So I set up the coffee pot before I leave. I drive 1 minute up the road and then walk 1.2 miles, drive 1 minute back home to be there just in time to make breakfast.  Pirate is up getting ready for work and has pushed the button to make the coffee(how nice of him). So I make us all some lovely eggs, and we have breakfast together. We then see Daddy off to work.

Now me and the children get ready to go to story time.  I get a phone call shortly before we leave, its Pirate, he forgot something, can we please bring it. Sure we can! So we go to story time and hear an oral story, play with puppets, talk to friends and hear a few books read, oh and play ring around the rosy. Then we go to Pirate’s work. He gives us a tour and tells the kids about what he does at work(impromptu home school field trip). We then leave Pirate to his job and go to the elementary school for free lunch. Then back home.

294 302

The kids spend the afternoon playing with their toys, running around, watching cartoons. I took a nap, surfed the web, did some housework, put a chicken in the crock pot, settled disagreements, the usual.

Then we decided to go to the store and buy a little pool to splash in. I will show you what we came up with in my next posting.;)

Once that was set up, I left the kids to play in the water while I cooked the veggies for dinner. Pirate came home, got himself cleaned up,talked with the kids, and started up his computer. Then it was time to eat and we all had a pleasant dinner together. Then our evening routine. After the kids were in bed Pirate and I hung out in the den talking and playing on our computers.

So really no real WORK on my part.

Moping the floor or cleaning the toilet or wiping a 3 year olds butt is not work. Its life. Its not optional(though some can pay others to clean house and that’s cool too, if you can swing it.).  I chose this life, this life of being with children, this life of keeping our home clean and comfortable. This life of leisure. So all this to say its all how you look at it. Since realizing I had it good, I am much more appreciative of my situation in life and much more appreciative of  Pirate who makes it all possible. In turn Pirate appreciates that there is someone using the place he works hard to pay for and someone keeping it clean and someone who cooks food for him and someone who loves and appreciates all his hard work. Its a beautiful thing. Its a wonderful life.:)

family09

1 comment:

  1. This is a great post, Jodie. I love your perspective, thank you!

    ReplyDelete